Monday, March 23, 2009

MY FAVOURITE GINGER COOKIES


These ginger cookies are my hubby's and my most favourite! They are a little chewy (if you like them that way, or if not, you can bake them longer for a more crisp cookie). My sister-in-law, Nancy, worked in the hospital kitchen back in small town Saskatchewan. She made some mouth watering desserts, etc. and this was one of the recipes she passed on to me when I was in to say "Hi" to her one day....the cookies had just come out of the oven and they were....well, just make them and you'll find out!!! Have fun and enjoy.....My granddaugher Ali likes them too... (o:

Recipe:
3/4 c margarine
3/4 c Crisco
2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 c cooking molasses

Blend the above together in a mixer until smooth, then gradually add the following to the above.

4 1/2 c flour (I generally put in at least 1 c of 12 grain to add a little extra "healthy" flour
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsps ground ginger
2 tsps cinammon

I like to add about 3/4 c raisins to the mixture...but you can add whatever you like...or nothing at all! It's your call....

Small paper bag or a bowl with about 1/2 c of granulated sugar to roll the balls of cookie dough in.

I like to use parchment paper to line my cookie pans as the cookies won't burn (wet the parchment paper first) and it saves time cleaning up too!

I usually put the dough into the fridge for an hour or so before I make the cookies...I make balls from the dough, a little smaller than the size of a golf ball, roll the balls or put them into the paper bag and coat with granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet, then flatten slightly with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 13 minutes (you may have to experiment with your oven as mine is a bit finicky)....if you make the cookies smaller, reduce the baking time. ENJOY! They don't last too long in the freezer....(because my husband eats them too fast!!!)

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am so happy you have shared this recipe with us Schmirley...I remember them well and often crave a nice ginger cookie.

schmirly girly said...

Thanks for you comment Val...Take care! Hope to see you soon....