· 1 pkg (7 gms) active dry yeast
· ¼ cup (50 ml) warm water
· 3½ cups (875 ml) all purpose flour
· ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
· 1 cup (250 ml) butter or margarine, softened
· 1 cup (250 ml) half-and-half cream
· 2 eggs, slightly beaten
· 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon peel (optional)
· 1 jar fruit preserves or 1 cup of desired filling
Makes 2 ½ dozen kolachi.
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in yeast, half-and-half, eggs and peel (if used).
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth (2-3 min). Place in greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover; refrigerate until firm, approx. 6 hours or overnight.
3. Heat oven to 375ºF/190ºC. Roll out dough, ¼ at a time, on SUGARED surface to 1/8” thickness. Cut into 3” squares. Spoon 1 tsp (5 ml) preserves in center of each square.
4. Bring up two opposite corners to center; pinch firmly together to seal.
5. Place 1” apart on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
For a savoury Kolatchi you can fry some minced ham or bacon bits along with minced onion; grate some cheddar cheese. In center of each Kolatchi, put a tsp of meat mix and a sprinkle of the grated cheddar cheese……deeeeelicious!
Also, for a more festive flavour, you can use mincemeat….or whatever you dream up! Be creative and ENJOY!