Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Cousin's Easy Mennonite Borsht


9 cups water
6 pkgs chicken oxo
2 pkgs beef oxo
8 medium beets (partially cooked, peeled and diced)
1 cup sliced carrots
1-2 stalks sliced celery
1 medium onion cut up any way you like
2 - 3 medium sized potatoes sliced or diced
1 can tomato soup
1 can mushroom soup
fresh dill or dried
or you can also add 1 tbsp. pickling spice (I like lots of dill)
(I tend to like things chunky so I chunked the beets,
carrots, potatoes and celery the way I like.)

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT TOMATO SOUP together in a large pot. Bring to boiling and simmer until veggies are tender. Add tomato soup and voila, borsht in a pot and a happy husband, to boot!!!!

1 comment:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It is very comforting Schmirley.Next time you make this don't forget my phone number...wink...wink...